Friday, July 1, 2016

Not Running

So far, this week was far from great on the training front. I made the decision to stop running for a while to try and heal up my leg - whatever the ffff is going on there - and I feel so lost now. It's been hard for me to get back on track with things too...I'm lacking some of the motivation I had before, and honestly it's because I feel pretty lazy and kind of disoriented without running.

The problem is that I need to just suck it up. I'm a big girl.

Not being able to run for a few weeks is not the end of the world.

I have two other sports (plus lifting) to dedicate myself to and keep in shape, and I need to just accept that my favorite part of this swim-bike-run thing just can't be a thing right now. And it needs to not be a thing so that I can heal up my leg to actually run the marathon.

That said...my long run tomorrow was supposed to be 12 miles. TWELVE. That's literally the longest I've ever run...and I missed it because I have to "take time off". In this cycle, the most I've done is 8 miles in a day (which was at least a month ago). Now I'm starting to panic that I won't be able to 'catch up' with marathon training. It's so frustrating, and kind of scary. So I'm going to commit myself to more swimming and biking (especially biking) so that I have a fighting chance of being able to manage the rest of marathon training when I can start running again.

Realistically, I know that I am not going to lose all my endurance over a few weeks, especially if I'm still doing all this other stuff. But the point of training is to be building endurance when running. Not taking time off.

Injuries suck in general, but let me be whiny for a second and say that this one especially sucks...

...because this is my first marathon. I wanted to be able to RUN the whole thing. I even had a vague time goal in my head and everything. As childish as it may sound, I don't want to have to accept that I may need to let those goals go, and just focus on finishing the 26.2 miles when October 9th rolls around.

And now for a confession, and I'm gonna be totally honest here:

I am not in love with biking.

I love swimming. I even love OWS now, although it still kind of scares me.

I love running. Even when it's balls hot out, or I feel like I'm dying during a 5k.

I LOVE (in all caps with a heart shaped "O") weight lifting. Seriously. Nothing changes your body and helps you love yourself more than picking up heavy things and putting them back down, and then advancing to picking up heavier things and putting them back down. Weight lifting is the SHIT. And though I can't do lower body lifts right now I'm still able to do upper body stuff, so it's okay.

But I have yet to love cycling.

SHOCK.

It's the thing that most triathletes LOVE about triathlon. I don't know if it's my bike or the trails I pick or the fear of having to actually ride on the road or the sport in general or what...but I'd put my feelings towards cycling at enjoy and not love.

Good news though: I want to love it. I'm willing to work at my relationship with cycling. And I know that since I can't run, it is a really really good idea to supplement by increasing my miles on the bike.

I just didn't want to have to cycle more because I'm not running, so I'm still a little grumbly about the situation right now.

And that's where things are at this week with my feelings toward training.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment