Sunday, May 15, 2016

Weekly Workout Recaps (Monday 2nd - Sunday 15th)

This update is going to be a bit different from those in the past, simply because there is so much to recap. Two weeks of posts?!? Yikes. Here goes!

Week 1
(Monday 2nd - Sunday 8th)

Monday, May 2nd - W6D1
Monday started off the same as it has for the last 5 weeks - with Couch to 5k. We ended Week 5 with our first "long" run (20 minutes), but the plan backs off a bit (back to run/walk intervals) in Week 6. Our intervals were:

  • 5 minute warm-up walk
  • 5 minute run
  • 3 minute walk
  • 8 minute run
  • 3 minute walk
  • 5 minute run
  • 5 minute cool-down walk

The run went perfectly, Susan has been doing great, and we had our whole little crew for this run too.

Also, right as we set out, a goose honked at me and I said, "Uh rude!" to it...and then all four of the geese it was hanging out with decided I was a jerk and were very vocal about it. They honked me all the way out of sights!


And if you look back, Sunday the 1st was paintball day with the boys, which I was tired and sore from on Monday, so I decided to skip the swim in lieu of laundry and meal prep. Not a bad decision - the pool will always be there later!

Tuesday, May 3rd - trainer ride, lifting
I've been pretty good about getting up for Trainer Tuesdays. I hopped on for 30 minutes last week to warm my body up, get a sweat on, and prepare for the day:

30 minutes, average HR of 131
After work the lifting happened:
Not too bad. Still pissed about my bench. I'm actually working on a plan for that.

Wednesday, May 4th - W6D2, 3 miles
The morning started again with C25k. Intervals were:

  • 5 minute warm-up walk
  • 8 minute run
  • 5 minute walk
  • 8 minute run
  • 5 minute cool-down walk

I was meeting Papa Bender for dinner after work, but I had enough time for a 3 mile run. Guys...this run felt hard, even though my heart rate stayed pretty steady:
3 miles, average HR 150.
I know it felt hard because the day before I did deadlifts and lunges, but it was definitely a mental game to get these three miles in.

Thursday, May 5th - lifting
I've kind of given up trying to get up for anything on Thursday mornings...my body just needs a day to sleep in. So Thursday was a lift-only day:
Also, this day was supremely annoying. Cam and I met at the "other" gym location, which isn't as big and doesn't have as much equipment. Every single squat rack was being used by someone who was:
  1. Doing arm lifts
  2. Doing nothing
I kid you not - when we first got there some guy who looked like he was set up for deadlifts was talking on his phone. We went and changed, came out and he was still chatting away. Cam was in a bad mood and finally went and asked the guy if he was using the rack, and the guy acted all surprised that someone would ask, and then stood their on top of some 45s laying next to the bar, with his foot on the deadlift bar...still talking on the phone. In the other rack, some gym-bro was helping his lady friend do...shoulder presses. Don't get me wrong, they were buff and she looked like she was prepping for a competition...but why the eff would you do that in one of three squat racks when they're a perfectly good military press instead? After nearly half an hour (when they were between sets), Cam went over and said, "Hey, are you guys using THIS SQUAT RACK?" And they got all embarrassed and hurried up to finish their last set.

The box squat rack was also being used by someone doing rows nearly the entire time we were there.

#ragequit

Okay, not really, we did the rest of our stuff and got out. Although, as you can see, we didn't get to do our decline bench because the effing leg restraint was broken so #gahhhh.

Friday, May 6th - W6D3, dog sitting
I got up Friday morning and made it to C25k, although Susan (our only 'new' runner, couldn't make it). I ran the 25 minutes with one other person (I seem to remember taking a short walk break because my friend needed it, and a few stops for shoe ties :P), then got ready and headed up to my desk:
I ended up working pretty late on Friday (til 5), and went over to my aunt and uncle's because I was dog sitting this adorable fella:
Dex the Best!
Cam and I took Dex for a walk over to a Mexican place that ended up being SOOOOOO worth it. My burrito was the size of my head (though my head is less football shaped :P):
Sunglasses for scale.
I only ate half of it (with some extra avocado I found in the fridge...thanks Aunt Cathleen!), and then promptly fell asleep:

Saturday, May 7th - nada
Well...I did take Dex over to the forest preserve for a walk in the morning...
It was supposed to be a run, but Dex pulls A LOT and I missed the trail entrance, and my ankle started bugging me...so I threw in the towel.

Other than that, Saturday ended up being a shopping day. Cam needed some new clothes and shoes, and I needed to get some Mother's Day stuff (and an impromptu gift for my godson, Miles, to throw in his birthday package, which I just posted off to England) so we went to the mall and spent a good few hours cruising around.

Sunday, May 8th - gardening
Sunday was Mother's Day, and I ended up being too busy for anything. I left Cam's early (not that I had to stop and buy Mother's Day cards or anything...) and made it home in time to get ready for an early lunch and a movie with my mom and brother. When we got home we stopped at my grandparent's for a while (they live next door), and I suddenly felt like gardening!

I texted my brother to pick up some extra topsoil for the garden, and when he got home and I spent a good hour getting things weeded and prepped for planting. I sweated and lifted heavy bags of dirt, so I'm counting it towards my physical activity for the day ;)

Week 2
(Monday May 9th - Sunday May 15th)

Monday, May 9th - W7D1, 1800 yards swimming
Week 7 of C25k is when you go from doing run/walk intervals, to only running, and the Week 7 interval is 25 minutes each day. Susan and I were the only ones there, and she told me that when she did W6D3 over the weekend she only got to  17 minutes before she had to stop and walk for a little bit. So I pulled our pace back...and she got to 18. Truth is, I should have pulled it back just a little bit further, so that was me being a bad coach. We walked for about 90 seconds before we picked it back up for the last few minutes, during which our pace soared again because we had to run through sprinklers. Not even joking.

The uptick in pace is evident in our total distance - 2.7 miles, which is about a quarter mile further than we usually travel during these sessions:
After work (which included overtime) I got myself to the pool. I wasn't excited about it, but I did it. 1800 yards, a majority of which were kick drills. I did a few drills using my fins, and holy crap, I feel like this swim actually made a difference. Although to be honest, I think I need to start swimming more to really make the improvements stick. Since I started running again I haven't spent nearly as much time in the pool and I can feel it.

Anyways...the workout and recap:
Workout Source


Tuesday, May 10th - trainer ride, lifting
I got up slightly later than I'd hoped (whoops, slept through that first alarm) and had some dishes and lunch packing to finish before I left, so I only got 25 minutes in. Honestly, I could have tried harder - my heart rate was a little low during this ride, but I was really dragging from the kick drills the day before:
25 minutes, average HR 129
After work, there was lifting:
I guess my bench is getting a bit better, but I'm still stuck in the 60s and 70s. *sigh*

Wednesday, May 11th - W7D2
Per usual...C25k in the morning. This was such a good run for Susan, because we pulled the pace back that little extra bit, and she excelled through the whole thing - no stops at all. It was a pretty refreshing run for me as well, and I felt good even after dead lifting the previous evening:
Before bed on Wednesday I devoted some time to foam rolling and stretching with some slow yoga flows. And then...

Thursday, May 12th
I slept in on Thursday. I was going to try and get up an run since I didn't set my trainer up Wednesday night (not that I ever use it on Thursdays anyways)...and I just wanted to sleep. So I slept the extra 20 minutes, and then got up and got some chores done and puppies loved on before leaving for work.

After work (and more OT)  I went and lifted, alone this time because Cam was working late. I decided to pull a workout from Thinner Leaner Stronger. I bought the book last summer and never implemented the workout, but I decided to try it out to see if it will help my bench to use this guy's theories. To be totally honest, I should probably give the book another read through as well.

Anyways, here was the workout (exercise>sets by rep>poundage lifted). I did not do deadlifts because I did heavy deads on Tuesday and my hamstrings didn't want to do more:

Friday, May 13th - W7D3, hot yoga
We had our whole group for W7D3, and though our pace crept up just a bit, Susan made it through all 25 minutes again!
I managed to not work OT on Friday, and squeaked out of there just in time for hot yoga. The normal teacher is on vacation right now, so we had a sub...not that it matters since I haven't gone in ages. However, because Joy wasn't teaching, the class was way smaller. Like half the size, so that was weird.

It was definitely a leg/ab heavy class, and I struggled through it since I'd just done a lot of legs and abs. My everything hurt the whole time, but I got through it.

Saturday, May 14th - Tai Chi
I woke up on Saturday and laid in bed for a good half hour simply because I was sore. After yoga the day before, I did not feel like going to another yoga class, so I decided to hit up my normal yoga studio for Tai Chi with my mom instead.

It was great! The class was small, and there is so much to focus on in your breath, movements, and body. In life, I do a lot of things quickly. I waking up early to swim, bike, run, and lift, my job is fast paced and I always have somewhere to be...but there is a lot that can be learned from taking a minute to slow down and feel your body shift between the movements you're doing. I truly enjoyed the class and am hoping to make it back for the remaining 4 classes in the session. And go ahead and add Tai Chi to the list of things I'd like to learn more about!
This is right outside of my studio...as you enter and leave it is a great reminder of what life is really about.
Sunday, May 15th - bike-run brick
I ended the week with a bike-run brick (I went straight from riding my trainer to running). It was a nice day out so I could have ridden outside, except that my bike is at Cam's and I'm using my mom's on the trainer, and it's wearing out the tire.

So I did a little over 50 minutes on the trainer (I had some watch issues which is why it doesn't show that much), and then a 2 mile run.

Check out my ghetto laptop setup:
And my poor dogs, napping beside me:

Bike:

52:00 minutes, average HR 132
Run:
Once I found my legs that first mile felt fast, and I needed it. But afterwards I pulled it back to something that felt more sustainable.

Overall, we'll call it a success...and preparation for the many bricks to come.

I will say though...I did not want to do this training session. I had a terrible week, and I wanted to do nothing. As a matter of fact, at 12:10pm, when I started this brick, I looked at my watch to see a grand total of 981 steps for the day. At noon.

I got up at six.

The workout helped me feel better. I zoned out a bit and it helped clear my head. It didn't solve my problems, but it allowed me to think about them a bit differently.

To Wrap Things Up...
My training program starts in 15 days and goes straight through the first week of October. It's going to be hard in so many different ways, but this week I truly saw the virtue in pushing through every single workout because it's what you need to do. I had so many reasons I could have skipped the gym and just gone home straight after work and crawled into bed.

Instead...I showed up at the pool or to running group or to the weight room, and I put in my time.

And that's exactly what I'll keep doing until I'm across those finish lines.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment