Sunday, April 17, 2016

Weekly Workout Wrapup (Monday 11th - Sunday 17th)

Get ready folks, it was not the best week.

Cam and I had a rough weekend, and until things started looking up I decided to chill on everything. I didn't run, workout, or take part in my C25k group at all until Wednesday. After that, things picked up and went well for the rest of the week. So here it is...

Monday, April 11th
Nothing

Tuesday, April 12th
Nada.

Wednesday, April 13th - C25k, W3,D2
On Wednesday I kicked myself in the pants and got up for C25k. On Monday I'd come in to emails that one of the other coaches would be out for a bit nursing a back injury and the other wouldn't be there on Friday, so I pushed myself a bit just in case something happened on Wednesday too. We made it through Week 3, Day 2, and we're officially down to one member! Apparently it's really hard to get up for a 6am running group, but I'm so proud of the one runner we have sticking with us!

I know when I post these that it looks like we're not doing our due diligence, but I don't count our warm-up and warm-downs. We're usually out there for 30 minutes, it's just annoying to have my watch beeping the intervals when we're supposed to be walking! That said, I think I've finally figured out how to add workouts using Garmin Connect, so from now on I'll have the full workout included in what I post:



Thursday, April 14th - trainer cycling
I wanted to break in my new bike trainer, so I decided to get up extra early to make sure it happened. I woke up at 4:30 and was on the trainer by 4:40, pedaling my way through an episode and a half of The Office (I'll finish it one day, I swear!).

I actually really enjoyed the trainer ride (apart from how sweaty it was). I set everything up in my garage since it was a bit cooler and I wasn't sure how loud the trainer would be:
Nigel kept me accountable, and those pop tabs are a reminder of why I'll be sweating my way through the summer!
The ride itself was challenging but I didn't feel like I was dying, and overall the trainer isn't too loud. My mom didn't hear it until she came downstairs, and even then she only heard it because I had the door into the house open.

It would be helpful if I could get the bike computer to work so I could give you stats, alas, I couldn't. So, uh, sorry :P

Anyways, here I was, sweaty but ready for the day at 5:15 (don't worry, I took a shower before work):

Friday, April 15th - C25k W3,D3
I met up with Susan (our one remaining runner!) and we got our run on. She's doing so stellar, and I'm so proud of her!

Saturday, April 16th - 5k
Oh.em.gee. Well. Saturday.

I planned to attempt 8 miles on Saturday, no matter what combination of running and walking I had to do, in order to account for the HRC's Final Inaugural 'I Must Not Tell Lies' Dolores Jane Umbridge run 13k...Or Until It Sinks In" run.

My plan was to run at least 10k, and then walk the rest of the way. I was a bit worried about the run though, because Cam and I kind of let loose and ate like crap for dinner on Thursday and Friday, and I was having some upsetting GI issues. Like...worst I've ever had before a run. I decided to attempt things anyways, and honestly I probably shouldn't have.

Within the first half mile I knew there was no way I could run six miles. No way at all. I'd had a Clif bar with peanut butter and some water about an hour before I left, and as I started running I could feel everything just sloshing around in my stomach. By one mile, I was starting to get major cramps. So I decided I would try to run one mile, walk one mile (to see if my stomach would calm down), rinse and repeat...and basically just see how far I could get, deliriously hoping for 8 miles.

As I started running for mile three, I realized it was a totally futile effort. My stomach was cramping so badly I could hardly stand up straight, and after just 1/4 mile I stopped and decided to just finish walking telling myself that I could use the 3.1 miles I would acquire towards another HRC race that I'd yet to 'earn'...The Weasley's Wizarding Wheezer 5k. It felt completely adequate and warranted, given how I was feeling:

To me, those splits are pretty good, given how shitty I felt.

I went home and took an actual bath to ease my stomach cramps a bit, ate easily digested carbs for lunch, and was good to go after that.

Sunday, April 17th - 25 mile bike ride
The best part about the weekend was being blessed with amazing weather (which is one of the reasons I was so disappointed by Saturday's run). I asked Cam to bring our bikes over to my house for a Sunday morning ride, and he obliged. We headed out just before 10, and managed 25.3 miles in 1:46 (I forgot to pause my watch when we stopped for a break) to start the outdoor biking season off:
It's looking like my "easy" heart rate while cycling is around 138 (10 bpm lower than my easy running heart rate). Works for me!

We were both commenting on how good we felt during the ride, although we both need to nudge our bike seats up a bit, and I had a bit of a headache the whole time. But other than that...we are so ready for summer riding!

I also snagged some cool pictures of us at "The Keep" (that's what I'm calling it) right were we turned around to head back:


And there you have it!

It was a slow, upsetting start to the week, but I'd like to think we finished it strong. Things are back to normal as of tomorrow (C25k in the AM, swimming in the PM), and hopefully my posting will be more frequent too.

I won't lie, this new job and some of the stuff I'm doing at work has me super busy and I feel like I'm leaving bits of my attention plan scattered all over the place, but I have some posts in the docket that I'd like to get up, so hopefully I can get those up soon!

Peace out, and enjoy the rest of your Sunday!


x

No comments:

Post a Comment