Monday, March 21, 2016

Weekly Workout Wrapup (Monday 14th - Sunday 20th)

I'm really proud of this week because it feels like I finally got back into the groove with workouts. Work has still not been tamed - no where close to it. But I'm heading into the week feeling good.

Anyways...here's the roundup of last week!

Monday, March 14th
I finally got back into the groove and Cam and I met to swim. I got in 1,500 yards both with and without tools, and didn't push things too much because I just wanted to feel good in the water. Here are the stats:


Tuesday, March 15th
Spin and lift. I (once again) forgot to get a picture of our lift book, but it took a lot out of both of us this week because it was a 10/8/10 week.

It was like 15 minutes of spin and 4 lifts (I think).

Wednesday, March 16th

Rest day!

Thursday, March 17th
As previously mentioned, there is no picture of our lift book. Oops again. I warmed up with two miles on the treadmill (which included some speed work), and then we did our remaining lifts for the week.

Friday, March 18th
After work I had some time to burn before hot yoga, so I ran about two miles on the paths near my office:

Also, people driving around here are total jerks and try to block or speed through intersections so they don't have to wait the 5 seconds it will take me to cross the cross walk. I totally don't get it.

Hot yoga was okay - I think I was slightly dehydrated from my run, and that might be what made me feel a bit lightheaded and sick at times, but it could also have been all the up-and-down in the flows we were doing. I normally have a problem in hot yoga going from being down on the mat to standing, and we did a lot of that during class. For the first time ever I left the room to cool off during the class. And for the first time since I've gone, class ran loooong. On the one day I really needed it to not run long (I had a dinner thing to go to). It all ended up being okay in the end, but it was not very relaxing to leave class, look at my watch, and realize I was running hella late.

Oh well...life goes on!

Saturday, March 19th

So I mentioned that I had a dinner thing on Friday. At said dinner thing I had a few glasses of wine...I should not have. No more wine, ever. It was such a great reminder to me to just not drink. I spent all of Saturday feeling like I needed to take a nap.

On Saturday I managed to get through yoga, then my mom and I ran some errands, and then after that everything I did was done grudgingly, because I really just wanted to take a nap. I didn't though because I didn't want to throw off my sleep schedule, so I stayed up until 8:30 and then went to bed.

My life is so enthralling, I know.

Sunday, March 20th
Sunday is what I'm most proud of. I needed to do something that I could feel proud of...something to help me like myself a little bit more, and I got it in my head to complete an indoor Sprint distance tri on my own.

That little voice in my head prevailed, and I did my little tri.

I wasn't sure I'd have enough time because I had a baby shower to go to (and I almost didn't have enough time) but I managed to fit everything in. A 1/2 mile (900 yard) swim, 12 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. I tracked each activity individually and did not count transitions (because it was a bit difficult since I was at the gym):
I only tracked time on the bike since it was indoors.
Total time: 1:27:55

I did it. Easily, even. Yes, I know it was indoors, but there was something about doing all three of these activities right in a row that proved something to me about myself. That I can do it (and I can do it without bike shorts!).

The outcome? I'm now registered for a sprint tri as part of my summer training. Sunday, July 10th, I'll be doing the Lake Zurich triathlon (Sprint distance). I need to practice transitions and want to get a feel for the drop off/set up part of things. All in all...I'm looking forward to it!

So yeah...that was the highlight of my weekend.


x


Currently Reading:
Cold Days (Dresden Files #14) - Jim Butcher (audiobook)
The Walking Dead: Compendium 3 - Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Stefano Gaudiano (hard copy)

Completed:
Ghost Story (Dresden Files #13) - Jim Butcher (audiobook)

OH EM GEEE YOU GUYS!! I finally finished Ghost Story (I say 'finally' like it took me years - it didn't - I started it like a week ago). I've been waiting and waiting (and finishing other books) to start this one, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed when I started up the audiobook and the reader wasn't James Marsden. Apparently he had a conflict when the book needed to be recorded, and they had a reader named John Glover do it instead. I looked for a rentable version of Marsden's reading but couldn't find one, so I held out through the Glover one. I won't say that Glover's reading wasn't good - it was. He did a great, very consistent job. I'm just so used to Marsden's version and characters (I mean, he IS Harry Dresden) and the disappointment never really went away.

The story though? Brilliant. Kept me guessing (per usual) about how Harry was going to get out of things with all the twists and turns the book took. I am so used to Harry Potter where the rules of magic are pretty static, and you learn early on that some things just can't be changed, but Butcher is continuously...not playing with, but twisting and manipulating the "Laws of Magic" in his books to evolve the plot. It's a totally different type of world than something like HP, and I enjoy it. You see...Harry Dresden's world is created as something fluid and morphing, stitched together with other dimensions that continuously influence each other, so it makes sense that the laws of magic and fate (though still very concrete) are able to be twisted as well. That definitely happened a lot in Harry's little Ghost Story, and I'm looking forward to plunging into the next few adventures!

Overall, The Dresden Files will be a lifelong favorite, for sure.

You can find me here on Goodreads!

1 comment: