Thursday, March 3, 2016

Random Things on a Thursday (#4)

Hello! Welcome back to Random Things on a Thursday. I am your host, Christina, let's get to it!

Peanut Butter and Banana

This is the reason Elvis got fat, and I totally understand it. That's why I only put peanut butter on the second half of the banana.

This Kid
My cousin posted some pictures of her son on Facebook last week, and I laughed out loud when I saw them. He's such a little character and I love him. This was my favorite of the ones she posted, and it's in my desktop rotation at work now:
PS: Dear Kid, one day I will embarrass you by showing this to the date you bring home. Or putting it on a cake. Or something. It's going in the record books and coming out when you're a teenager, fo sho.

Kidding aside, I love my cousin's kids. They're some of my favorite people on the planet and it's been amazing to watch how much they've grown since moving here from California two years ago, and I can't wait to see them grow more!

Monopoly Money
I realized something this week when I read yet another European reference to US currency as "monopoly money".

Guys. It's the other way around. US dollars don't look like Monopoly money, Monopoly money looks like US bills. I'm sure the good ol' folks at Hasbro (in 1903 and later) intentionally designed the game money as a spoof on US currency. It's such a blatant move that I can't believe it took me this long to realize it.

Also - European money (literally every currency I've ever touched) looks way more cartoonish than US money, so I don't get why people keep saying our money looks "funny". Your bills are rainbow colored. They look funny too!

The Weather Sucks
It's also one of the most common conversation topics I've heard this week. It was about 60*F on Sunday, and then dropped...30...20...10...the weather just sucks. I want spring to come and stay, and I'm longing for sweatshirts instead of bulky coats. It's currently like 30*F, and this weekend the temps are supposed to climb near 50*F or something.

I don't know, I don't trust meterologists.

Cabin Days
My friends and I take one weekend every year and head to a cabin where we don't allow ourselves to connect to the internet, and instead utilize our time for Nerf gun fights and board games. This year, I'm bringing some extra crafty things for us to do together, and I'm only in charge of one meal (thank God for that).

This year, we're going back to the same cabin we went to the first time we did this (two years ago). It's at a state park in northwestern Illinois. Our first year there it snowed quite a bit, but this year we're supposed to have much warmer temps (40s) and I've packed my running clothes (and my Flip Belt) so I can do some exploring on foot. Hopefully when I get back next week I'll have some decent photos to share with you!

Kinsey Millhone
I have plowed through the Kinsey Millhone novels I have on hand, and I love them. Sometimes, I feel like Kinsey is my best friend...or part of me. Sue Grafton has created a keeper for sure. I can't believe she's already published up to X and that there are probably only three more novels in the series!!!

Next up, I'll be finishing 80/20 Running, catching up on about 12 episodes of EastEnders, finishing the Walking Dead Compendium 3 before the show gets ahead of the comics, and then charging through the Dresden Files books I have on audiobook. So many books!!!

And that's all for today!
It is my hope that I will be able to finish up my Hustle report before we leave for the cabin today, and that I can schedule it to post tomorrow when I'm far away from a computer. If not...you'll have to wait until Sunday!

Peace out, peeps!


x



Currently Reading:
80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster By Training Slower - Matt Fitzgerald (hard copy)
The Walking Dead: Compendium 3 - Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Stefano Gaudiano (hard copy)

Finished:
M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone #13) Sue Grafton (audiobook)


You can find me here on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment