Wednesday, March 9, 2016

It's a MARATHON, not a sprint.

I've decided to postpone writing about the cabin for another day or two because I actually have some kind of major news.

This is something that people in my day-to-day life know about because I've slowly been exposing them to the idea, but it's not something I've mentioned at all on social media (though I dropped a really small hint here, if you wanna go find it). Nothing was truly official until yesterday but...now it is!

On October 9th, 2016...

I will be running the Chicago Marathon!



You read that right. I registered yesterday, so it's official!

I've had this idea in my head for a while, and I even mentioned it as a possibility in my 100th post, but I haven't said anything about it since. I think it's crazy too, since last year when I said I wanted to do the half, I said I had "no desire" to do a full marathon.

LOL.

So Here's How It Happened

In January I was (again) perusing the Lincoln Park Zoo website trying to figure out if they were going to have a team for 2016. All of my email attempts had been futile, and I was a bit bummed by that. So I went to the marathon website to check if they were listed as a participating charity (so I could get some contact info).

They weren't. But I was really excited when I saw that Ronald McDonald House Charities does have a team. I messaged a friend quickly about something (important for later posts), bookmarked the site, walked away from my computer, then went right back and registered for the team.

And then I got back up and walked away a bit stunned that I'd done it.

I think told four people about it that weekend (my mom and Cam included), and then I didn't tell anyone for weeks. My focus was on the Hustle, and I didn't want to start talking about something so far off until I'd had a good amount of time to wrap my head around it.

Now I have. I'm at the point where I've finished writing up my training planS for the summer...since I'll be training for the triathlon and marathon at the same time. It actually looks fairly insane, so I try not to look at it too much. It's very important to me that I spend the next three months getting ready to tackle my training schedule, as it officially starts on May 30th.

There is also a very specific reason that I chose RMHC as my charity, but I'm going to save that story for a week or two so I can write up a decent post about it that can be passed around (if so desired). I feel like it's a very good reason too, so I'm hopeful that will show in the donations that come in.

Also, to be totally honest and upfront - I'm more worried about raising $1,000 than I am about running the marathon. I don't know why (given how much I raised for the Hustle) but I am. Like...I feel like I've already asked everyone for money and I don't want to annoy people by peddling for donations again.

That said, I do promise (in advance) that this is the last thing I'll be asking for money for this year. I know it's early in the year to say that, but it's true. This is what I'm committing myself to this year, so I promise when I start posting donation links on my blog, they will all link to the same place. And I'm not even gonna post it yet, so there you go! If you have it in your heart and bank account to commit to donating to RMHC, I will provide the opportunity soon.

So. There you have it.

I'm gonna run a marathon!


x


Currently Reading:
Ghost Story (Dresden Files #13) - Jim Butcher (audiobook)
The Walking Dead: Compendium 3 - Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Stefano Gaudiano (hard copy)

You can find me here on Goodreads!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! As you know (and were a part of!) Chicago Marathon was an AMAZING experience last year. I am truly, truly full of happiness for you. It is going to be an amazing life changing journey. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!! It really means a lot...I'm so excited right now! I can't believe I'm gonna run a marathon!

      Delete