Monday, February 1, 2016

Workout Wrapup (Monday 25th - Sunday 31st)

Edit: I published this without saying it but...

I promise there is more coming than just workout updates. I promise. At some point...promise...

Monday, January 25th

This was supposed to be the Runs for Cookies Virtual 5k, and I decided not to do it. I'm really bummed about this decision and it was harder to make than you think, but my ankle was bothering me a little more than a bit all weekend so I decided to cool it on running until I'm done with the Hustle. I don't mean I'm not going to run at all, I just don't want to do more than a mile or two at a time :(

And now that I've said that...my friend Steffi called me yesterday and we both decided to sign up for the 8k Shamrock Shuffle on April 3rd. It's one of Chicago's biggest and most well known races, and I'm so excited I get to do it with Steffi! So...I'm currently not really running but I'm gonna do a 5 mile race in April. Hah, I'm so smart.

Anyways. Mondays are for swimming, and I made this one technical.



I actually swam 1,550 yards (not 1,250), but my 920xt doesn't count laps when I'm using a kickboard. I did laps in groups of 200 yards, focusing 200 on kick, 200 on pull, 200 on freestyle, and then a 100 yard recovery. I then repeated the kick and pull drills for 100 yards, then timed a drill for 100 yards (2:10.7). I know that doesn't add up to 1,550 - there were more laps. But anyways, I need to remember to do timed drills earlier on in my practice because I feel like it's not an adequate gauge of my improvement to bounce between doing them in the middle or at the end. Note to self on that one.

Tuesday, January 26th

I climbed 44 floors after work, then headed to the gym to meet Cam. We hopped on the bikes for 10 minutes (ow my quads, they burned so much) before starting our weight sesh, which went like this:


I highlighted my lifts to make it easier to see. This was a week of 5-5-10 lifts, and I'm most proud of my Bench sets. I am finally, officially out of the 50lb range (I have been for a while), but I'd really like to say goodbye to the 60s too. If I push it, I can be 70s and up by the next 10-8-10 set we do. But that's a lot of pushing. Fingers crossed, guys!

Although I should also add...that deadlift! I didn't think I'd see a number like that so soon. After being out of the lower-body lift game for so long, it's nice to see I didn't lose all teh gainz.

Wednesday, January 27th

As you know, this is my rest day! And rest I did.

Thursday, January 28th

Thursday we were back at it for lifting. I really didn't want to do more cardio at the gym, but I did do 65 floors (new record!) before I left work. It took me 14 minutes.

At the gym, we lifted things:


My bench is pretty solid, although it looks like my squat is really, really suffering. I think that should tick up when I'm done with the Hustle. The problem now is that I train stairs the same day as weights, so my legs are already pretty freaking fatigued by the time I get to lifting. Oh well...it will get better!

This was also the week that I wished my gym had a greater variety of low-range weights. The gym we normally lift at has 5-10-15-20-25-30lb weights, but there's another LA Fitness we go to with odd weights inbetween (they have 7.5, 12.5, 17.5, 22.5, 27.5 weights). When I was doing those dumb bell chest flys ("db Butterfly") I was really wishing for the 17.5lb weights. I can crush it with great form at 15lbs, but that's just not enough for a 5 set, and I really struggle with the 20s. Ah well...I'll get there.

And check out those notes at the bottom. My arms were spent after this workout...good thing though because I did really push myself. Cam didn't think I'd be able to complete a 10 set at 70lbs for that Decline Bench, and when I did he made me write what I did at the bottom, and then go ahead in the book and put down 85lbs for my next 5 set. So...stay tuned and we'll see how that goes in a few weeks ;P

Friday, January 29th

Friday was another hot yoga day. My friend Amy was in Florida for the week so I picked her up from the airport and we went to yoga together, followed by Los Burritos (life guys, it's all about balance!).

Remember the stomach cramps that kept me out of the game two weeks ago? Well I got those again on the way to yoga. I was hoping the heat and some twisting would ease them up a bit, and it did. They didn't totally go away, but yoga helped!

Bad news...between Friday and Saturday's yoga classes (and lots of lunges) I seem to have put a little too much stress on my ankle. It bugged me all of Saturday and Sunday, and now (Monday) it's still not right :(

Saturday, January 30th

I went to the all-level yoga class at my home studio on Saturday, and it was eerie how similar the routine was Friday's. These are two totally different studios and teachers, but both routines were a version of Sun Salutation A, with a few modifications and challenges. What I really enjoyed about Saturday's class was that she had us do a truncated Sun A flow...with our eyes closed! Stepping back into plank and then doing crescent lunge with my eyes closed really challenged my proprioception and forced all the little muscles that help with balance to work harder. It was a great!

Sunday, January 31st

Cam and I elected to take Sunday as a rest day. By around noon we decided we wouldn't be going to the gym, and I was totally fine with that. I was still sore from yoga and had some studying to do and needed to get new tires for my car, so opting out of gym time just felt like the right choice.


And there you have it! Another week of pretty solid workouts. It's all just part of the flow now. Like I said above, I promise I have some other post ideas in the work...I just need the time to write them.

Peace out and have a good one!

x


Currently Reading:
J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone #10) - Sue Grafton (audiobook)
The Walking Dead: Compendium 3 - Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Stefano Gaudiano (hard copy)

You can find me here on Goodreads!

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with all your workouts!! I wish I knew how to lift better. It seems cool to be able to track the progress the way you are with that. I like non-scale accomplishments and I get that with running and other things. Also, what watch do you have? Do you make up your own swim workouts? You are pretty speedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be totally honest...I would not know a thing about lifting if not for Cam. He's been a HUGE help, and he's one of the only reasons I ever ventured into the free weights area!

      I watch is a Garmin 920xt...I'm still getting used to it. They had them on super sale at the beginning of November so I took the plunge and bought it, but it was still a huge investment for me. I'm looking forward to the spring so I can bike and run with it too.

      I've been making up my own swim workouts, but I'm gonna have to start narrowing down some training plans soon...ish. I'm getting a bit bored with my swim workouts which is never a good thing!

      Also...ignore that "best pace" for 100 yards. I had fins and paddles on so it's totally not a representation of my normal swim times, haha.

      Delete