Thursday, February 11, 2016

Random Things on a Thursday (#2)

I like having a day to dump all my random thoughts from the week on you unsuspecting people, so here's what I have from this week:

Bags
I've mentioned before that I hate feeling like I live in two places. To give a little perspective, I took a picture of all the bags in my car on Sunday before I left my house:

I travel with this much stuff literally every time I leave my house. Do you know what a relief it will be to not have that giant duffle bag in my car, and to get it down to a reasonable 5 bags + purse?!

It's too many bags, people.

Dove Promises
The other day I bought some Dove promises, and Cam and I each had one. If you've never had a Dove Promise before, they have a little motivational saying on the inside of the wrapper. I laughed out loud when I read the two we got:

I'm totally incapable of staying up past my bed time, but Cam lives for it. We're both snooze button hitters though. This is why I set 5 alarms for the morning!

Laundry
This one is fun, but gross. Over Christmas one of my friends was in from NY state and we met for breakfast. She was telling me about her new apartment and said she's really glad it has an in-unit washer/dryer because she works out so often that she always has a ton of laundry to do. I've found (and she agreed) that with working in an office,work clothes don't need to be washed every time you wear them because you don't sweat and get gross in them (unless you spill on yourself, and the obvious exception is UNDAPANTS). Workout clothes though? I go through them like crazy, so by the time laundry day comes around I've got a hamper full of gross leggings and stuff to wash.


And let's be honest...laundry day is like every third day when you account for towels and pillowcases too. That's pretty frequent for one person.

Check your car lights, people!
I have seen a ridiculous number of vehicles with lights out in the last week. A ridiculous number.

Headlights, taillights, brake lights, fog lights...all sorts of lights are out. During a gross, cold, icy Midwestern winter this is just asking for trouble...so make sure you're checking your car lights!

RfC and Heart Rate training vs Run-Walk method
I realized during my run this week that I kind of sold myself short with my half marathon training. Okay, maybe that's the wrong way to look at it, but Sunday's run got me wondering if the Run-Walk method was really for me. I think partly because of the heat it was smart to train that way, but I also think I could have pushed harder.

I mean...on Sunday I ran over two miles without even thinking about stopping, which wasn't something I considered doing during my half training. And then I started thinking...I want to PR the hell out of this year (see the next section on races)...

Katie at Runs for Cookies has been talking a lot lately about 80/20 running (heart rate training), and it makes a bit more sense to me. During my Sunday run I didn't pay attention to my pace at all - I just took it easy. The point of 80/20 running is that a majority of your training is done at an easier pace, and then 20% of your training is done at a higher aerobic threshold. It sounds very interesting, and I think I decided to invest in the book she mentioned:


Bottom line is...we shall see where this leads!

Races
It started innocently enough. I went to see if there are races our PrideZ group can participate in, and I just tumbled down a rabbit hole. In addition to the Shamrock Shuffle in April I'm considering:

And I won't even mentioned the other sprint tri I found. Realistically, I need to look at my training schedule to decide which of these (hopefully all!) I can do, so we'll revisit this in the future.

Sidenote: I PR'd my 5k time at the Corporate Challenge last year (by running the whole thing)...but I'd like to have an official 5k race time for it. And, you know, beat my Corporate Challenge time this year. I'm actually looking forward to fitting these races into my training schedule (which, PS, I still need to write out...).

Pass Them Like You Love Them
Swim Bike Mom had a post this week about this group of cyclists in Georgia called Pass Them Like You Love Them.

Because I cycle on the road (when I do...which has not been frequently) I am always super, super cautious when passing cyclists on the road. But their mission? I love it. Imagine how much happier our lives would be in general if we acted like we love the people we're sharing the road with?

Note to self on that one.

My Cubicle
I've always meant to share some photos of my cube when I've decorated it, but I've never gotten around to it, so here they are!

We had a floor event that involved cutting out snowflakes...I did one of each to decorate my cube for the cold weather:

And okay, winter isn't over yet, but I wanted to do something for the Hustle Up the Hancock, so I did this! I found a printable cut out of the John Hancock building, and then made the lettering myself:

Also...why not share a duck! This guy is actually a tea steeper that my mom got me one year. I LOVE him, and it makes it easy to enjoy loose leaf at my desk!



And I think that's enough for today! Don't worry though - I'll be back next week with plenty more random thoughts!


x


Currently Reading:
K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone #11) - Sue Grafton (audiobook)
The Walking Dead: Compendium 3 - Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Stefano Gaudiano (hard copy)

I finished J is for Judgment...I'm still loving the Kinsey novels. I have a few more on hand to get through, so I've got plenty to keep my busy!

You can find me here on Goodreads!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a ton about heart rate training too and am harassed near daily by some of my super trainer friends to get a heart rate monitor. The 80/20 concept and heart rate concept makes alot of sense, I just personally haven't invested yet. ALSO -- you can totally run way further than you think you can when you allow yourself to get there mentally!!!

    ReplyDelete