Cam and I had plans to go to Chicago and see a band last night, but they were all blown to the wind when we both wound up a bit under the weather (him way more than I). We rang in the new year playing WiiU, board games with his parents, and seeing the ball drop for the first time in Chicago (I totally didn't fall asleep and need to be woken up or anything).
I never really planned a post to wrap up 2015 - but quite a bit happened, and I thought I should do something to outline it all.
This is largely a list of links back to previous posts. I've tried to organize it a bit so it's not so random...but if you've been reading all year this is just a bit of a recap! (Also...the formatting is totally off with this post and I'm way too lazy to fix it. Sorry!)
This post is just about 2015...I'll get to 2016 in the next one!
I started doing virtual races. I didn't even know this was a thing until 2015! Sure enough, though.
- Runs for Cookies 5k
- Department of Mysteries 10k (I also got my mom and cousin to sign up and take part!)
- Beat the Blerch 10k (I used a 12 mile training run for this)
- I actually have a huge backlog of virtual races, since I haven't been able to run since September. More on that in my next post about 2016!
- The Cinco de Miler with Cam and Dan
- The Corporate Challenge (a million thanks to Travis for running with me!!)
- The Color in Motion 5k
- Though I didn't run the Women Rock Half Marathon (post about that here) I did complete my training for it...and that was one of my goals for the year!
We hit the gym!
- I spent over two and a half months in physical therapy for a sprained ankle and peroneal tendinitis
- Post 1, Post 2, Post 3
- Since then, I've gotten back in the pool and way better at swimming
- wrap up post coming soon!
I did some charity stuff.
- Cam and I did our first Polar Plunge (I still think we're nuts...Cam wants to do it again)
- I joined PrideZ and am an office lead...and this happened. It is a good time to be an ally!
- I helped organize some stuff at work:
- I completed two CPCU tests in 2015! Post 1 Post 2
- Now on to more in 2016!
Cam and I hit two years!
I mourned a friend.
- First we found out about Kayla being a hostage, and then the US government confirmed her death. The month of Februrary was enveloped with the emotions of that loss, and they resurfaced with additional news in August. I will always remember Kayla and I keep her picture at my desk to remind me every day to be a little more peaceful, a little more loving, and to have hope that we can change the world by treating each other with respect. Be compassionate, always. I will always miss my friend.
We went to Idaho!
- Rico and Benjen both had to be put down, and for the same reason: massive tumor development. I still miss them...they were some of the best hamsters ever.
- Nigel had surgery to remove a blockage and three feet of intestine after he ate something he shouldn't have. Post 1, Post 2
- Nigel had testing and surgery to remove what turned out to be a non-malignant tumor on his head.
Nigel gave me a heart attack from all of that stress.
- Seriously, pets are expensive sometimes.
- Aside from being neurotic and afraid of everything, Stewart is doing fine.
- Both Dresden and Bärtemius joined the family!
- Though I never blogged about it, my mom and brother and I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It was a dream come true. We left for Florida one year ago today, and I'm a bit nostalgic now...
I turned 28
2015 was a good year. I cannot say it trumps 2014, which was one of the best years of my life. Meeting Cam and starting down our little path together was tough to top, but this year our relationship just grew and grew. I know 2016 will have even more excitement in store for us (no, not that...just wait until the next post!).
Personally, I grew a lot too. I learned what it means to spend
I am also very proud of my growing ability to manage my work/life balance, my relationships, and all this crazy training. That ability is composite of many skills, and I'm excited for the opportunity to use them to blow 2016 our of the water.
Like I said...lots to discuss in my 2016 post. Just hang tight and we'll get there soon!
And if you'd like to peruse my most popular posts from 2015, you can check them out here:
Swim Bike Fuel: Reflection on 26 Days - my "review" of Swim Bike Fuel...this post has been viewed almost 900 times. Wow. I hope it helped a few of you make a decision about the program!
Harry Potter, the Hogwarts Running Club, and Department of Mysteries 10k - I continue to love the Hogwarts Running Club and cannot wait for the 2016 races!
*My* Half is not happening...and I am pissed. - To update everyone here: American Express got my money back for me a little less than 30 days after I disputed the charges. I stand by what I said at the end of this post: I will be boycotting all Women Rock and Team Ortho organized events in the future. They handled everything with the Women Rock half absolutely terribly.
Thanksgiving again - Apparently you people like pictures of pies...?
Halloween & The Deconstruction of a Beard - This was one of my favorite posts - when we shaved Cam's beard. I still laugh looking through these pictures!
Happy New Year - and my 2016 be a good one for you.