Monday, January 18, 2016

African Sweet Potato Stew

A few weeks ago my mom and I were looking for a movie to watch while we chillaxed one night, and we settled on Hector and the Search for Happiness. I happen to really like Simon Pegg and we were in the mood for something kind of uplifting but not jokey, so it seemed like a good pick for the evening.

It turned out to be a really, really good movie. Probably one of my all time favorites. I won't give too much away but it's about a psychiatrist named Hector (Simon Pegg) who realizes there's a total void in his life so with his girlfriend Clara's (Rosamund Pike) permission/encouragement, he embarks on a journey around the globe to decipher what makes people happy.

Aptly named film ;)

I wasn't sure what to expect, but as the story evolved it definitely blew away whatever I thought might happen.

At one point in the film he's talking to an Afrian woman whose family has a tradition of meeting at her mother's house once a week for sweet potato stew. She goes on and on about how amazing it is, and Hector ends up going to her mother's house for dinner (and then all hell breaks loose).

Now...my mom and I share a brainwave. There are certain things that link up in our heads without us knowing, and then one of us says what it was and the other says, "That's weird. I was just thinking about that."

And so it happened with the Sweet Potato Stew.

On Saturday morning right after breakfast my mom started prepping a crock pot dinner, and before I even asked what she was making I already kind of knew the answer. I asked anyways. The answer?

African Sweet Potato Stew.

I'm not a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but I was intrigued enough to want to try it. And it was very, very good. I would say it's a bit like lentil stew but sweeter, with a hint of peanut, and not overwhelmed by potatoes.

For those of you wondering, she used this recipe. It required a small amount of prep before going in the crock pot, but after that it was a slow cook and our house smelled ahhhmazing. At my recommendation she used aduki beans (also known as adzuki beans) since the recipe just said "small red beans" - we found these canned at our local Fresh Thyme store.

I don't have a picture of our stew because I'm terrible at photographing my food (and really, stews just look gross to begin with) so instead here's a still from the movie. This is the scene where he meets the sweet potato stew woman and she puts in her two cents regarding people and happiness:



I can't recommend the movie enough and really, you should try out the stew too ;)


x


Currently Reading:
I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone #9) - Sue Grafton
The Walking Dead: Compendium 3 - Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Stefano Gaudiano (hard copy)

You can find me here on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment