Thursday, November 12, 2015

Easy Almond Crusted Chicken

I want to post this recipe before I forget the changes I made, specifically because my mom told me to write down the changes I made since it was so good.

Yesterday when I was reading my blogs, I came across this recipe for Rosemary Almond Crusted Chicken at Tastes Lovely by Natalie.

My mouth pretty much started watering immediately. Later when I went to print the recipe at work, someone walked by my desk and saw the recipe and said, "Ooooh, what is that? It looks so good!!"

Well folks, the version I made was!

Because I had PT yesterday I made a truncated and slightly easier and quicker version of this recipe. I didn't do any of the pan sauteeing - I actually didn't use half the ingredients included in her recipe - I just loved the idea of almond crusted chicken. That said, I'd love to try Natalie's version in the future - last night I just didn't have time! I had about 45 minutes prep, cook, and get dinner on the table - and this worked like a charm.

So here's what I did instead:

Ingredients
1 lb chicken breasts or thighs (I used thighs because that's what we had)
1 cup raw almonds
1 scant tsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp dried buttermilk powder (optional)
1 cup almond meal flour (you can use regular flour, I just thought the almond meal would add some extra crunch)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
3 eggs

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Put the almonds, rosemary, and buttermilk powder in a food processer (I used my Ninja Bullet) and process until coarse. You want some bigger bits for crunch, so don't overdo it.
  3. Mix the almond meal flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
  4. Whisk the eggs.
  5. Dredge each chicken piece in the following order:
    1. Coat with almond meal flour
    2. Dip in eggs
    3. Dredge with ground almond mixture
    4. Place on baking sheet (I used an 11"x17" glass pyrex baking dish and lined the bottom with parchment paper to prevent the almonds from sticking)
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
  7. Enjoy the most delicious chicken ever.
This was seriously so easy, and it was outstanding. Five stars all around from the fam, and it only took me about 10 minutes to prep and throw in the oven. It was crunchy, crispy, perfectly seasoned, and juicy.

In other words: It was really, really good.

Because I was aiming for a quick dinner, I served this up with frozen green beans that I nuked for a few minutes in the microwave, and tri-color couscous (seasoned with Tuscan Herb olive oil, garlic sea salt, and pepper).

It was a delicious (and might I add, healthy) dinner, ready in 45 minutes, without a ton of clean up. If you flatten the chicken or use smaller cuts (like tenderloins) it will cook even faster. And FYI, we had enough leftovers that I have it for lunch today as well!

So...go forth and try the wonder that is almond crusted chicken!


x

No comments:

Post a Comment