Thursday, October 1, 2015

Happy October!

I can't even believe I'm saying that. October already! It's chilly here and everything!

Yesterday, just before dinner, I went outside to pick runner beans and tomatoes and realized I'll be harvesting my Brussels sprouts soon, which will be the last thing to come from the garden. I finally pulled out the remainder of the zucchini, cucumber, and green bean plants and started to get things cleaned up. I have some peppers still trying to grow, though they didn't do too well this year. I've still got lots of swiss chard (or rather, my mom does, since I'm not a huge fan), lots of runner beans (my favorite to come from this experiment this year) and oodles and oodles of tomatoes. I'm going to have to stew and freeze them to use for sauce in the off-season.

But anyways, that's not really what I came here to talk about! I've been waiting until October to make this post, and I really just wanted to stop in a blurb briefly about...

October is Breast Cancer awareness month.

I've actually always had a bit of a vendetta against October because everyone wears pink, all the stores sell pink stuff, just pink pink pink everywhere, and I loathe the color pink. So much.

And also, until very very recently (like, a few days into September) I never actually knew anyone with breast cancer. But lo and behold, as soon as I decided to get involved with our American Cancer Society team at work, I found out that someone I know (who is young, and has very young children) was diagnosed with breast cancer this summer. Suddenly, it was like I had a face for this cause.

I think that's generally how it happens. We know about it but it doesn't really matter until we can put a face with the diagnosis.

Through August and September, I, along with nearly a dozen other people, have poured hours and hours of work into a fundraiser for the ACS's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5k Walk. Our walk is on October 18th, and I am honestly so, SO proud to be part of the amazing team of people who have volunteered with me.

Right now, I'm not sure if I can actually walk the 5k on the 18th (TBD tomorrow when I get my MRI results), but I will definitely still be there. I will cheer on my team from the side lines if I have to.

And I'll even be wearing pink.

Yeah, that's right. I'll be in pink.

If you can, please consider donating to my page. We've worked so hard, and I'm already so proud. And the only place to go is up!

Thank you, and I hope your October is a good one!


x

No comments:

Post a Comment