Friday, October 30, 2015

Halloween and Scurry Things

Hello there peeps.

It has been a busy busy almost-two weeks since I last posted. Fitting PT (appointments and exercising) into my schedule now means I don't have as much time to do other things, so I let blogging slip to the side a bit. Although, honestly, it hasn't been super interesting 'round these parts, so I promise you're not missing much.

Oh! Except the new(est) hamster. I had to return something to Petco, and Cam made the mistake of letting me look at them. Remember that calico hamster I mentioned when I got Dresden? Yes...well...he came home with me. He's adorable and I love him. His name is Bärtemius.

It's like that Kleenex box was made for him. That bottom right picture is about all I could get to show the calico kind of pattern he has going on with his fur...but it's his eye markings that really won my heart over!
Right now he has a basic bin cage, but I'll be upgrading him soon...just gotta find the time (and monies)!

The rest of life? Well really, I'm just working more. We (my department) found out early in the week that my coworker who broke her ankle the same weekend I sprained/effed up mine (September 12-13th) has had her disability extended. Again. And...well.

I try very hard not to talk about work here (aside from fun fundraising stuff), and even harder not to complain about (because complaining is soooo easy, amirite?), but working weeks and weeks of overtime is a drag. I've been working OT the days I don't have PT or doctor's appointments...and even on some of those days too, and it's gotten old. The stress is making me sleepy, and it's caused my acne to flare up (yeah, I still have acne and it fucking blows to deal with at almost-28).

But seriously. This is going on seven weeks that our department has been down two people, and by the "anticipated" return date of this coworker it will be eleven. That, combined with the excitement of October means I'm just burnt out on the work front, and anyone who's been overworked before can probably empathize that going in every day and putting on a smile turns into a job itself. So that's where I'm at there.

For the first time in a long while, I also felt like I encountered unsupportiveness from many random angles for a variety of reasons during the week, and it just put me off my game. It's one thing to tell yourself that you don't care what people think - it's an entirely different matter to get yourself to believe it.

And then over the weekend I had quite the realization: I really, really miss running.

I'm sick of being inside all the time, and I'm getting jealous of all the people out there who get to enjoy Fall Everything. I mean, I'm not even allowed to walk my dogs! Stupid tendinitis.

A great example to me of how bad walking can be for tendinitis was the Making Strides walk. Two weekends ago Cam and I went to it because that's what I helped organize that event (with the shirts) and team for (PS...we raised over $4,000 before employee matching, which will bring that close to $8,000!). Anyways...I had the (very very stupid) idea to walk part of it. It was a 5k and I only did one of two laps, but I was limping pretty badly by the time we finished that first lap. So yeah...that taught me not to walk.

Bonus photo though...I managed to get up on Cam's shoulders for it, and I neither fell off nor died trying to get down, though I now fear for our future children and how high up they'll be when they ask to ride on Daddy's shoulders...:


It was a fun picture, and we had quite a few people watching us make it happen.

But then the next day Amy yelled (okay, not actually yelled) at me for having the genius idea to walk. She asked me if I was planning any marathons in the near future to exercise my bright idea streak. (I do like her sense of humor, that's for sure.)

I got the message though...no long walks on the beach, or through my office. Nada, zip.

So...I've been indoors, cleaning out my closet and stuff, and working out at the gym. But sticking to the walls of the pool, spin bike, and weight room are getting monotonous and, dare I say it, boring. And by the time I can do real outside stuff, it'll be cold and I'll be sticking to the inside stuff anyways so I don't slip on the ice and herniate my lateral posterior whatchamacallit.

*sigh*

Tis the lot I have been dealt, and I shall deal. As long as I do all the right stuff, this is a temporary problem that can be solved. Until then...patience.

And since I've now been long and brooding...I have really been looking forward to this weekend. We (Cam+me+friends) are driving down to Champagne, IL to visit some other friends and party it up for Halloween this weekend. I will do my best to take pictures, because I know all of you want to see mine and Cam's costumes!

To wrap things up... I found this today over at Live Love Surf, and thought it would be fun to fill out. Enjoy!

Ten Things: Halloween and Fall

1. What is your favorite Halloween candy?
Everything. I love candy. But I’d probably take Snickers or Reese’s over just about everything else. Mmmm peanuts and chocolate.

2. What is one of the worst “treats” you ever received in your candy bag?
I don’t remember getting anything really bad…but probably raisins. I hate them plain and they definitely would have gone straight in the trash as a kid (nowadays I would turn them into something else…like cookies or trail mix balls because throwing stuff out is wasteful).

Also Good’N’Plenty, and Whoppers.

3. What was one of your favorite costumes you wore when you were a kid?
My mom made me a tiger costume when I was little, and I LOVED it. I think I was a tiger when I was 4, 5, and 6…basically until it didn’t fit any more. That was definitely my favorite.

4. How about your favorite costume as an adult?
Actually, this year’s! Cam and I are going as Wyldstyle and Emmet from The Lego Movie. Stay tuned for pictures!

5. What scares you most on Halloween? Spiders? Zombies? Axe murderers? Eyeballs in a jar… (or something else)?
People jumping out at me in scary masks. I’m terribly afraid of anything scary…I jump FEET in the air just turning around a corner and encountering someone I didn’t realize would be there.

Story time: The first Halloween Cam and I were together I had decided I really liked him, so I agreed to go to a haunted house (this was before things were official, otherwise I woulda bailed…but I had to ensnare him first.). When we got there we had to use the bathroom and there was some actor with a weird, three-foot tall juggalo-type mask standing outside the porta potties trying to scare people. As a result, when I had to leave I just about barreled out of there in case he was standing by my door – I wanted to smack him really hard if he was there so I could run away faster. I hit some girl instead.

Then I’m standing there waiting for Cam and Daniel to get out of the bathroom and another actor, dressed as a very convincing (and very cute) vampire came up to me and just stared at me. He had white out contacts in and I nervously started word-vomiting at him about his contacts. He eventually relented with his staring at me and started talking about where he got them. I was persistent in the word vomiting though.

AND THEN I practically had my eyes closed through the entire haunted house, and one of the characters asked me what I was so scared of…and I looked at her, eyes closed, and said, “YOU!” And she’s like, “Then why are you here?” – Cam happened to be in front of me (as I grasped him around his waist desperately, clinging for dear life because clearly I was about to die) and said, “BECAUSE I REALLY, REALLY LIKE HIM.”

True story, yo. Here’s a picture of us waiting in line…our first picture together, d’aww.



6. So then, what is your favorite scary movie??
Hah. None of them. Unless we’re counting The Little Vampire, in which case that one.

7. What is your favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal?
Turkey and stuffing, the rest is just for kicks.

8. What is your favorite piece of clothing or accessory to wear in the Fall?
Hoodies all day long! And scarves, since I can’t wear hoodies to work.

9. What is your favorite pie?  If you do not like pie I will forgive you but then what is your favorite Fall dessert?
My mom’s Lemon Meringue, hands down.  But I’m also a fan of Strawberry Rhubarb, and the occasional Chocolate Pie is delicious too.

10. Do you live where there are four seasons? If so, where is your favorite place to see the fall colors?
Yes I do! There are some really nice state parks and forest preserves around where I live, but I think my favorite is one near my aunt and uncle’s house because I don’t really know the layout so it’s easier to get lost in things…and there are leaves everywhere! That said, I enjoy walking around near my house as well, it’s nice to see the place I live go through all the seasons!

11. What is your favorite fall tradition?
Hmmmmm…good question. We really don’t have many of them, but I have always enjoyed Halloween and Trick-or-Treating…either going out and doing it (now sometimes with people who have children…), or staying home and handing out candy. I think it’s fun to see all the costumes,  and  good for the mind and creative spirit to step out of yourself for a day and have fun as someone else.

12. Is there anything else special about the Fall to you?

I just like that it’s cooler and I can bundle up everywhere I go and not have to worry about getting frost bite like I do in the winter. I also really enjoy stepping on allllll the crunchy leaves!


What about you? Any favorite fall things? Feel free to steal the survey and drop me a link so I can read your answers!

Until later!


x

No comments:

Post a Comment