Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Questions and Goals

I know I said I wasn't going to blog much this week, but I figured I'd stop in and say Good Evening and Happy September! 

In other news, it's hot here again. On my way to work yesterday(at 6:00 am) it was already 72 degrees and the humidity was climbing...it made me SO happy that it wasn't a run day, it was a go-to-the-gym-and-lift-stuff-only day. But I looked at the 5-day forecast and it looks like last week was a total fluke. Today it was 74 degrees by 6:20am, and 93 when I left at 3. Yikes. And if you compare the average temp and highs from last week to what the temps look like this week, it's depressing:


Aside from all the madness that happened around my hometown yesterday. Long stories short: A police officer was shot and killed near where Cam works and now they started a massive manhunt in the northwest burbs for the three people they suspect killed him. The story is actually really sad because he was very close to retirement and has a wife and FOUR kids. I can't imagine what they're going through, and the way he died just sounds so sketchy...like these men were luring him out. I seriously hope they find those people soon, but right now it doesn't look good :/ (latest CNN update here)

And at home, they put all the schools on lockdown after an alleged gunman holed himself up in a house (that's actually just down the street from where I live, and in a neighborhood I frequently run in). Apparently he wasn't actually in the house, but there's a warrant out for his arrest anyways. That'll be fun to think about tonight when I need to run...

It made me pretty happy that I stay at Cam's on Tuesdays, mostly because I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the traffic, or the advisories to stay inside.

Anyways, that's freaky and sad stuff. In other news, I decided do a "September Goals" post this month. I've only come up with a few and they're pretty broad, but a goal is a goal, and sometimes what helps us achieve our goals is by putting them out there for the world to see (like I did in January when I talked about wanting to run a half!).

So here they are, for your reading leisure:

September Goals
1.     Don't get too stressed out this month, and make it out alive! I have a lot going on this month, so here's a rundown in chronological order:
o    September 5th: last long run for training (12 miles) and a wedding shower
o    September 8th: Trippin' it to Indiana with Cam's family for a day (supposedly to visit the Amish...)
o    September 10th: My first CPCU exam! I'm already nervous and will be doing lots of studying in the lead-up.
o    September 12th/13th: I will be busy baking because the 14th begins our company's week-long fall charity fundraiser (A Time For Giving)...I'm participating in 2 things:
§  September 16th: A Time For Baking bake sale/contest...there are lots of things I'll be making for this
§  September 16th: ATFG 5k
§  Good news: No workouts this week as I rest for the half!
o    September 19th: My first half marathon!!!!!!!!
o    In addition to all this (training, studying, baking, and participating in everything) throughout the month at work I will be organizing our company's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk as well as my floor Event Team's fundraiser (for October 18th), preparing training manuals for our department's new employee, and working on PrideZ's first event!
o    Told you I'd be busy!!!! But after the 19th it should slow down a bit!
2.     Take more pictures of stuff! I realize I've been really bad lately about taking pictures of stuff and using my Instagram, and I actually really like IG, so I'm going to try to do that more. If you want to follow me on Instagram you can find me here!
3.     Post Weekly Workout Updates I keep saying I want to do this and I keep not doing it. Since September will be a bit lighter on workouts I'm hoping it'll be easier to come up with a day to sit down and figure out how I want to do this. So watch for those (probably on Sundays).
4.     Start looking at running/race goals for the rest of this year, and next. Though I'm excited for the half because it'll mean I'm done training for it (and can sleep in on Saturday, woo!) I've actually really, really enjoyed training. I'm afraid I'll slip back into non-running habits and I don't want to, so I want to make sure I'm still training for something (like the Hogwarts Running Club, or the Rosehill Crypt 5k that my cousin promised she'd do with me). But I also won't lie...I've started considering doing a marathon. I'm not saying I will for sure, but I think it might be a good goal for 2015. For me, this means I'd also start to factor in some kind of training to increase my mile speed and throughout the fall, winter, and spring, focus on shorter, faster runs instead of long runs on the weekends. It's daunting, but I feel it's more than do-able.
So there are some September goals. That last one will probably be ongoing after September, but I wanted to put it down because then I can't forget about it altogether.

And just for fun, I picked up this survey thingy somewhere and decided to ease some boredom pondering the answers, and I don't want them to go to waste now :P

What is your favorite fruit flavor?: Pineapple...like the actual fruit though, not just the flavor. For flavored stuff (like candy)...blue raspberry.
Which two friends can you see together as a couple?: I'm not in junior high so any friends I have can decide for themselves.
Which sitcom character do you relate to?: Leslie Knope, only slightly less crazy.
What was the happiest moment in your life?: This is a tough one...but I was pretty freaking happy when Hannah called me after her 3 month scan and told me Miles was alive and healthy :)
If you knew that this was your last day on earth, how would you spend it?: Not at work...
If you were granted three wishes, what would you ask for?: 
  • WORLD PEACE! (For real though, if people could stop starting wars over ridiculous ideologies so countries could focus on social welfare and technological growth, that'd be great.)
  • Money (necessary evil, but so much can be accomplished with it)
  • More wishes (no one said I couldn't!) ;)
Name one annoying habit of any of your friends', which you would really like to change?: Thinking everyone has to be present for everything. It's impractical and sometimes plans fall through and we argue simply for this reason.
What are your pet peeves?: Thinking that experience is based solely on age. It's not. Also, political parties. They really do more harm than good.
Where do you see yourself five years from now?: Hopefully doing well at my job, married, with at least one kid, and I'd like to have a house (all that super boring adult stuff).
What would you do if you won the lottery?: Pay off my loans, invest some of it, and store the rest away in a savings account.
If you were born a boy/girl, how would things have turned out for you?: I would be named Stephen and that's all I know for sure.
Would you be brave enough to spend an entire hour alone in a cemetery?: In the day time? Sure. Not at night though, that's just silly talk.
What is the one thing you wish you could do if given the chance?: I feel like most of the things I want are attainable, I just have to work hard to get there. But I'd LOVE to do a really in depth tour of Europe without having to worry about money or finding a job when I come back.
Do you believe that there is life beyond our planet?: For sure.
Got a phobia you want to share?: Moths. They're gross and creepy and give me the shivers.
What is the weirdest thing you've ever done?: I don't really do weird things.
How long can you hold your breath?: Not long...probably about 30 seconds?
If you were stranded on an island, what are the three most important things that you think you would need?: A renewable water source, plenty of sunblock, and a library.
Have you ever tried bungee jumping or paragliding?: No, I totally wanna try parasailing though.
How do you think the world is going to end? In flames or an ice age?: Zombie apocalypse. Just kidding, given those two choices, probably an ice age unless the Sun implodes, then we'd all be sucked into a black hole before we knew what was happening...but I'm guessing with the Sun dying it would also have already gotten pretty cold...so ice age. Or nuclear oblivion.
Do you believe that the end of the world is looming in this year 2015?: Absolutely not.
What is your definition of an incredible weekend?: Getting in a good workout, a night out with friends doing whatever, and maybe a pool party to relax on Sunday (heated pool, please).
What are the five things you cannot do without?: Should I be as literal about this as I was about the island one? Food and water for sure, a sheltered dwelling, companionship, and a good blanket.
Give us an idea of your hopes and dreams: I just wanna be a good person and do some kind of good things with my life. I'd also like to feel like I challenged myself during my life, and accomplish something that I may have considered impossible at one point.
What is your favorite day of the week?: Thursday, because the hope of the weekend is still real.
Are you a cat/dog person?: I enjoy both, but I'm a total dog person.
If you had to choose between world domination or world peace, which one would you pick?: I believe I answered this with my "wish" question...
What is your favorite breakfast meal?: Depends on the day, but I loooooove restaurant pancakes.
Who or what inspires you?: My mom. She's been through the ringer in her life and come out a champ. I aspire to handle life as well as she has.
What is your favorite color and why?: Blue because it's the best. Cerulean, if you want a specific blue.
If you could live on any other planet, which one would it be?: Somewhere I wouldn't die of exposure or lack of food, water, or oxygen...I don't believe we've found one of those yet.
How many places have you traveled to? Name them: A few US states besides IL (in no order: CA, ID, FL, PA, OH, WV, WI, TN, IN, IA), England, Scotland, Germany, Poland.

Well that was fun...feel free to fill it out yourself and comment if you do because I'd be interested to read your answers!

For now, I'm out! Until next time!


x



No comments:

Post a Comment