Friday, June 26, 2015

The Color In Motion 5k...or not.

I'm really proud of making it to the three-posts-in-a-week mark! I promised to update about the Color In Motion 5k that Cam and I just did, but you'll have to wait another day because this is way more important:



Thank you, SCOTUS. Today is a day I am proud of our nation and of those appointed to defend our rights. I sent Cam an absurdly sappy text where I quoted Justice Kennedy (something everyone should read if you haven't yet):

It is no secret to people in my personal life - and there is no point keeping it a secret here either - that I fully believe I will marry Cam. He is like no one I have ever known or loved - my life and my heart have not been the same since we met. And my heart is fit to burst knowing that no one will be denied the same right Cam and I have - to marry the person they love.

Today, my heart swelled with love. It makes me feel as though we are all truly free. Free, finally, to love who and how we want, and that we can add "liberty to love" to our inalienable rights.

Just one last anecdote before I go...

When I found out about the decision this morning I messaged a dear friend at work (who is gay). We had our little happy party via the intranet, and after lunch he stopped by my desk. I jumped up and gave him a hug and, with tears in his eyes, he said, "When I was little - growing up - I thought I'd always be in the closet. I never thought a time would come when I could be and express who I am. There is still a ways to go, but it's so much better than I ever thought it would be. And I got to live to see it."

Just typing that brought tears to my eyes. Love always wins.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment