I'm actually doing a mobile post (rare) because I'm just looking for something to do to kill time.
We (whole family...mom, brother, and I) are sitting at the emergency vet, waiting for an estimate on what may or may not be wrong with my beloved Nigel.
He hasn't eaten since Tuesday night, and he threw that up. Then he spent all of today at our regular vet getting IV fluids, and he's lost about 5lbs since all this started (which is worrying). They also tested for Lyme's and parasites (both negative) and finally did a barium test today to determine if there's a blockage, and it seems like that's the case. To be specific, it looks like there's something in his cecum (the joint between the small and large intestine) preventing anything from passing into his large intestine.
Since the barium he's thrown up 4 times (not fun and very smelly).
So now we're sitting and waiting. The vet here just told us that she wants to continue to watch him to determine if perhaps his large intestine is a bit stagnant and could be medically stimulated to progress, or if there is a partial blockage that needs some more time to move.
If it looks like things aren't going anywhere, then Nigel will need to have surgery. And we'll just add that to the list of things I can't think about without my blood pressure and anxiety levels skyrocketing. Intestinal surgery doesn't sound like anything good.
I'm just so worried. It's definitely one of those times when I have felt so strongly that this dog is my child. He is part of my heart and I hate knowing that I will walk out of this room without him.
Annnd a tech just asked if they should do CPR if he goes into cardiac arrest.
Time for me to stop writing.
All my xx's are for Nigel tonight.