Saturday, March 14, 2015

Training and stuff

Wall of dorky, running related text coming at you (with some not running stuff at the end). I really need to work on posting more often so I don't end up with these huge updates all at once. Alas, there are only so many hours in a day!

So at the beginning of the week Cam and I were talking about our gym plans for the week. He has a physics test coming up next week and he said he wanted our Thursday workout to be efficient. "In and out!" he said, adding that he just wanted to run and do ab work.

And then Thursday I'm sitting at my desk and amidst the thoughts of *grumble*grumble*I want to be outside*grumble* I realized it was is the perfect day for us to run outside.

So when Cam and I were discussing said workout plans Thursday and he said he wanted it to be quick so he could study, I told him we only had 2 miles on the schedule so that was fine. Now - Cam is not a runner. Well he is, but he's only picked it up because it's what I do for cardio since I'm race training. He gawked at me and said "Only two! But we did two-point-five on Tuesday! Why would we go backwards?!"

Guys, I'd completely forgot to tell him that I'm not pulling these numbers from thin air - that we're actually following a race training plan. Whoops! And then it occurred to me that I don't think I mentioned it here, either! We are indeed following a plan. We're doing Hal Higdon's 10k Novice training to prepare us for the Cinco de Miler in May.

It's funny for me because every time I've picked up with running I've always done Couch to 5k which emphasizes the time you spend running (or doing walk/run) instead of how far you're running. But at one point while training for the Runs for Cookies Virtual 5k, I stopped running for time, and started running for distance. With the RfC 5k I realized I needed to be able to get to 3.2 miles, and adjusted my pace and walking intervals so my endurance would creep up. When I went looking for training plans for longer races, I wanted something I could do the same thing with - and the Hal Higdon 5k Novice plan actually looked a lot like what I'd been doing for RfC. So picking his 10k training made sense for me. And I didn't stop there - I've actually got all of the Novice plans straight through a Half Marathon printed out and stuck in the back of my planner so I can reference them easily as the months go by.

Long story short (now that I've told you the rest anyways) we stuck to 2 miles on Thursday, and we ran them outside. It was gorgeous, and definitely more enjoyable than being in a stuffy gym. We slacked off a bit on the ab work we intended to do (meaning we didn't do it), but neither of us was all that bothered...

Here's the readout for our run:

Overall, not too bad. We did a .9/.1 walk/run method and though I'd like for us to work on pacing ourselves better, but let's be real...just finishing runs is the goal for now! We'll work on the other fun technical stuff in time.

All of yesterday I reminded Cam that he had to run today (Saturday) and that he needed to try for 3.5 miles. He didn't run his 3 miles last week (although I didn't really tell him to) but he got out there for today's, and he said it went okay! Yay! I picked one of my favorite routes, which takes me down some nice bike paths, and it ended up being just around 3.5 miles. Here's what my readout looks like:



So the only disclaimer I have to give about this is that I stopped and walked for 1/10th of a mile at 1 mile, and again at 2.2 miles (Nigel did stop for a wee during mile 1, but we won't count that). So the most accurate readings on this for running time are going to be miles 1 and 4. I stopped my Garmin right at 3.5 miles because the half mile at the end was all at running pace, which means my pace would have been about 11:30 for a mile. So between miles 1 and 4 my time increase while running was +:30/mile...not +1:42/mile. I don't know if that makes sense, but it really bothers me that it seems so inconsistent, so here's a screen shot of my pace readout from Garmin:


The moral of the story here is that my pace was fairly consistent while running. I know that as time goes by I'll be running more of these miles without walking, but for now I like seeing that when I'm out there, at least I'm steady!

When I got home today I did this Tabata Yoga for Upper Body video that Sarah Beth Yoga has on YouTube, and combined it with this core workout since I hadn't tried it yet. That upper body workout is killer, but these two together made for a nice 10 minute routine to round out the morning.

If you've been reading for a few months, you might remember than in November I decided to try doing yoga every day. It was a great practice, but I kind of fell off the wagon around the holidays. I've still been doing yoga, but much more sporadically, and I tend to focus on poses and not flows. I've been getting a few more headaches lately, so I decided to start up with yoga in the mornings again 3-4 days a week. It's definitely been helping, and I've noticed that I'm way less sore after work outs as well. Our gym has yoga classes 3 times a week. The weekday ones are super late so I'm not even going to bother with it, but I'm going to try to get to the Sunday one (at 10:30) so I can improve my practice with a little discipline. I'll let you know how that goes!

Anyways, I should get going! I'm going through my closet and drawers today so I can donate stuff to Purple Heart and clear out some space, and then I'm heading off to Cam's because we're laser tagging with our friends today. I know I am going to be exhausted before we even get there, but I'm very excited because it's always a fun time!

So off I go, but I don't want to leave you hanging, so here are some pictures of the pups!

Back from a successful run!

Impatiently waiting for us at home.
I've been using Instagram a lot more lately, so feel free to hop on over and follow me!

Peace out!

-C

x

No comments:

Post a Comment