Monday, February 2, 2015

Weekend recap

We're not New York, but boy did we get snow this weekend! And lots of other stuff happened too! Or at least I did lots of stuff.

First things first - my Diet Bet ended on Saturday! I was up super early (5:45!) to weigh in because I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to get it verified since I was going to a party that night. So at 5:45 I hopped on the scale, and it was down a whopping 9.6lbs from my weigh-in weight. I needed to lose 7.1 lbs, so it's pretty clear I beat my Diet Bet! I still have no idea how the payout works, but I should be getting my $25 "bet" back, plus a cut of the pot. From the game page it looks like  80-85% of people met their goal, but I have no idea what the final results are. Here are my pictures from the game though, if you're interested:





Check out my awesome new workout clothes on the right, too! Working out 5 days a week meant I needed some more. And I actually mean needed. I also discovered I get a bit chilly when we're lifting weights, so that long sleeve shirt (though admittedly adorable) was also necessary...in both white and gray. New clothes and -10 lbs aside, I won't lie: I'm glad the Diet Bet is over. It was definitely a challenge! I started calorie counting using Lose It! after the first week, which was a really good idea, and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I met (and exceeded) my goal. But in order to guarantee I would lose the weight I needed to lose, I had to put the "per week" loss goal to 2 lbs, and though that's enough calories to get through a day, I don't feel it's sustainable because there was pretty much no wiggle room. I had enough that I could still have a piece of candy (Riesens!) after lunch and dinner, but there wasn't "budget" enough for much else. Even after I hit my goal on Tuesday I kept the same calorie budget on Lose It! because I really wanted to make sure I hit the goal. That's another reason I got up so early on Saturday - I wanted to be able to change things around on Lose It! and get a new calorie budget.

Which is what I did! As soon as I got the email saying my weight was verified, I went on Lose It! and changed my goal so I can (hopefully) see some steady weight loss until June. I was surprised when I saw that changing my goal from 2 lbs a week to 1.5 lbs gave me an additional 300 calories to eat (my total budget is now just under 1500 calories a day). Figuring in 5-6 days of workouts (either running or strength/cross training which 'earn' me 300-600 calories that I use for pre and post workout fueling) that budget is more than do-able.

So after I changed calorie goals...I made cupcakes! Okay, that's a lie. I made the cupcakes on Friday because they were the only thing I had all the ingredients for, and I actually frosted them Saturday morning. I made them for a friend's party Saturday night - I'd agreed to make some other stuff, but was too lazy to stop at the grocery store on my way home from work on Friday.

So with the cupcakes out of the way, I piled my dogs in the car and went out to run errands. I'm glad I went when I did, because my mom went out a bit later and said the traffic was ridiculous. I stopped at three stores then made my way to finish up the rest of my cooking, and fit in a run. So I whipped up some quinoa for a black bean-quinoa salad, set it aside to cool, and went for my run.

Remember that planner I keep talking about? Well I sat down with the planner and Hal Higdon's 5k (novice) training schedule, and put the runs in my planner.




It looks pretty blank right now, but that'll fill up. By the end of last week I'd written a ton of stuff in there. I would have put that picture up, but I was crocheting a gift for a friend who reads this and I don't want to give it away.

But I digress...you can see where I've put my runs in! I don't have it written in there (yet) but Tuesday is leg/back day, and Thursday is upper body/arms day. Saturday is a workout day too, but it's do-what-we-want day. So I scheduled my runs accordingly (keeping those longer runs away from leg day, haha).

Saturday's schedule had a 2.5 mile run written in it's little box, so I mapped out an out-and-back route, laced up my shoes and leashed up my Nigel:




and off we went. As I started running I realized it was really good I went out for the run because we were predicted to get bucket loads of snow between Saturday and Sunday, and when I was out the sidewalks were pretty clear. I only had to run on the roads a few times (which I don't normally do if I have a dog with me). And since it was my first run outside in a while, I ran at an easy pace for 8 minutes, and then walked for 1, but did my next two runs for 10 minutes with 1 minute walking in between. I finished the 2.5 miles in just over 30 minutes, and I have to say I was pretty tired at the end. I know that will get better though!

But - I had no time for tiredness! I made lunch, took a shower, and finished up with the quinoa salad and then made mini shortcakes (and sliced 2 lbs of strawberries) for mini strawberry shortcake. Then I cleaned the kitchen - no easy feat! My mom had made dinner for PADS (enough chop suey for 50 people) and it was a bit of a tip. But I got it done, headed off for the party, and had a great time!

Now, all the while at the party people kept wondering how bad the snow was getting. I didn't leave until almost midnight (first one there, last to leave, woohoo!) but the roads in the city were totally fine. I'd decided to head for Cam's instead of home, and I was really glad I did. By the time I got to the suburbs the toll-way was getting kind of crappy. It was like snow plows suddenly disappeared. Then when I got off the toll way, it was a slip-and-slide the rest of the way.

When I left my house I was pretty sure the snow was supposed to stop by like 9 or 10 am on Sunday, so I didn't pack stuff for work (Cam lives 10 minutes from my office). Well, let me tell you people, it didn't stop. We shoveled at 11am, then Cam and his dad went out again at 4 and 10:30:


My boyfriend, ladies and gents...11 am, snow plowing in shorts. But don't worry, he put on snowpants the second and third times he went out.
I'd planned on leaving at 4:30 because I needed clothes for work - and so I left at 4:30. I got to the nearest main road and decided I would rather go to Target and buy clothes for work. When I got there I called Cam and asked him to come get me (yay for his Jeep with all wheel drive), got the clothes I needed, and then Cam and I decided we should drop my car off at work in the parking garage before heading back to his house. There was a good 6 inches of snow in the parking garage when we got there:




Don't get me wrong, there were cleared out spots about 1/2 way down the aisle...but it was weird to see this!

It also made me really glad that I decided to stay at Cam's last night. I hunkered down on the couch and got a bit of knitting done, and as soon as I post this I'm cozying up on the couch and working on it again, because my company has late-start today so I don't have to be at work for another 3 hours! Yay!


x

No comments:

Post a Comment