Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Back! Kind of, I hope...

Well hello there! It has been a while, and I apologize for that. I have no excuse but holiday busy-ness, and January laziness.

In regards to my last post, I have been plugging away at work, and I suppose the most important thing is that I'm getting my work done every day. There are non-work related work stressors in my life (confusing, I know) and I've found that over the last month at work I've been ground down a bit by "the system" at work.


Unfortunately, I also feel ground down by people in my personal life. I find myself getting intensely annoyed with most people, and I'm searching for the source of the annoyance.

Good news is, it's looking up. I've long held the belief that, though we cannot control the actions of those around us, we can certainly control our own reactions to those actions - but I seem to have let that slide to the back of my mind recently. Then the other day as I was sorting through my emotions, I felt like this thought smacked me in the face. I realized that lately, my knee-jerk reaction has been that people are doing things to me, instead of realizing they're just doing things, most probably with no thought to anyone else. After all, that tends to be what most of us do.

So I'm making a conscious effort to re-think how I respond and react to the actions of people around me, even if the reaction is just in my head  - like today when some guy changed lanes in front of me then slowed down...annoying, but there's a 99% chance that wasn't directed at me with the goal of making me arrive later to work.

On top of that, I was convinced to join a Diet Bet. That's right. On January 3rd I pledged $25 to lose 4% of my body weight by January 31st. If I do, I get my $25 back, plus a cut of the pot. I have just under 2 lbs left to lose! Here I thought it would be some easy thing, but it's actually taking conscious thought and effort (hah, what a noob thought on my part). I finally decided I needed to track my calories (thanks, Lose It!) and have been working out more steadily. Cam's gotten me interested in weight lifting, which is proving to be more fun that it was in gym in high school. Dare I say the following? Of course I dare. I think I'm about to change how I've worked out for the last 6 years. Lifting is now a thing for me!

I've also set a few running goals for 2015 (not going to say what they are yet) - but I'm running Runs For Cookies Virtual 5k on Sunday, and maybe I'll share after that ;)


What I really like about all this - the fact that I'm invested in the Diet Bet and this 5k, is that it's forced structure in my life. I have to work out during the week. I have to eat right. It's given me a great excuse to cook more, particularly at Cam's house. I mean, is it just me, or do people watching you make a change need a reason for you to be doing it? I feel like they do - and being able to say "Sorry, I need to make this healthy meal because I have $25 (plus part of the $17,000 pot) riding on it," has really helped. Because apparently "I want to be healthier" isn't always a good reason...

So that's the update. Should probably get back to work... ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment