Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Disappointment

I've been preparing a post about my weekend that I'm going to put up sometime soon, but yesterday something happened that I'm not sure I've experienced.

Someone ordered a cake from me for a baby shower. I made the cake (half and half yellow and chocolate, bavarian filling, whipped cream icing)...and I hated it. I hated the shape, the color, the decorating, everything. To me, it looked atrocious. Before the shower I told the woman that she only had to pay me for materials because I didn't feel it met my own standards (she paid me more than that, but I don't feel like I deserved it).

I'm still beating myself up about it. (It's so bad that you don't even get a picture. Not for a looooong time.)

Now...I was really busy this weekend, and then Monday night was Cam's work party, so I was rushed. And the frustration has been really hard for me to get over.

I've just never felt like I failed this badly at a commissioned item before. I mean...the cake was terrible. But I also fulfilled two cookie orders this weekend that looked great. And all I can think about is that stupid effing cake! I put so much time and effort into it...it tasted great, but the presentation was a total dud (to me).

I realize it's a stupid thing to get down about, but there you have it. Not everything I bake or craft looks great. And I think I'm going to limit the "commissioned" items for a while.

And for every person who asks why I don't own a bakery...this is why. The expectations and stress are what keep it a hobby.

But here are some cookies that look cool, so I guess I've got that going for me:

Made as a retirement gift for someone my mom works with (who works for Caterpillar).


No comments:

Post a Comment