Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Teddy Bear One

Today really started as a LOUD MUSIC day. Not good for your ear drums when you work in a cubicle. But sometimes I just need noise to drown out the thinking.

Fortunately, after a good conversation with my mommy, things are turning tides a bit. So I decided to post something a long time coming...my first teddy bear!

Alright, so it's not my FIRST teddy bear. In actuality, I have an obnoxious (and slightly embarrassing) number of stuffed animals. I have so many, and yet I can't fathom giving them away. If there is one thing I hoard, it is stuffed animals.

BUT...I've never made one (well...not beyond Build-A-Bear).

Then my godson came along. When I went to England in October I got to meet him FOR REALS for the first time. I wanted to give him something really special that I knew he would love, something he could cuddle with, and something with a lot of meaning to me as the giver.

So I made him a teddy.

Even better: I KNIT him a teddy.

I haven't done a knitting post yet, so I'll just say that I do really, really love knitting. Since getting a full time job I haven't had quite as much time for it (or rather, as much time to knit the things I want to knit) but I made an exception to get this little guy done.

I used the Caribou Critters Bear pattern using HiKoo Caribou yarn in Blue Jeans and Cream, held together with HiKoo Simplicity in Sahara Sand and Nile Blue (and yes, I got it all from Jimmy Beans Wool). I also gave him a cute little crocheted heart made from some worsted I had laying around (picture below).

So here he is...my Little Blue Bear, who I know has a wonderful and loving home, and little arms to cuddle him:




Hello, cutie! You look like you're ready for trouble!


This one is my favorite :)

I debated sewing on his facial features (eyes and nose) but opted to use safety eyes and a nose instead, and to not sew a mouth on. All great decisions, I think! I did consider that the recipient is under two and safety eyes are for children 3+, but I made sure my friend was aware of this fact!
Last but not least...his little heart. Proof that this whole little bear was made and stuffed and stitched and fluffed...with love :)
And that's him! I love him, and it was hard to give him away, but he's in good hands. Here's my Ravelry Project Page if you need more info.

Hopefully I'll have a Teddy Bear Two post to put up soon (because there is a second, unfinished bear of another making in my craft bin!).

That said, if not a teddy bear post there will very soon be a Minecraft pillow making tutorial. I just have to finish the darn thing! I would LOVE to have it done by Monday...but things like this never go to plan!

I think that's all for today! If I don't manage to post tomorrow (though there may be a little something about pie...) then I hope that whoever is out there reading from the US has a great Thanksgiving! Feel free to comment, I'd love to know how you like the bear, or if you've made something similar before!




No comments:

Post a Comment